School teachers hate cellphones, right?! Well, maybe not... my cooperating teacher handed out a writing assignment on Enrique's Journey, and one of the students asked if she could type on Ms. Pezzetti's computer. Ms. P said sure, and then a student asked if he could use his cellphone and email the assignment. Interesting question, I thought. Ms. P again quickly agreed, so the student pulled out his phone and worked quietly for the duration of the period. At the end of class, Ms. P printed out the student's email and added it to the pile of papers to be graded.
Awesome, right?! I think so! Why fight against cellphones? Instead of despising them and allowing them to be a distraction - let's harness their power for good! I love my phone and suffer severe separation anxiety when it's not on my person, so I can understand that my students may have a similar connection. I want to make it a tool we can use in the classroom. I can't wait to use cellphones in class!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very clever, and I'm all for harnessing the power of cell phones for good, but what do you do if the student with the phone starts texting friends? What do you do when other students want their phone out, but aren't as quiet and productive? Perhaps that's where your classroom environment is put to the test.
ReplyDelete